On June 23d, in a packed Theater Rotterdam, the jury anounced the winners of the 1st edition of the Rotterdam International Duet Choreography Competition.
XL production Award
The XL Production Award was awarded to Danae Dimitriadi & Dionysios Alamanos (Greece) for their piece ‘Uncia’. “The jury was fascinated by the original and brave choice to stick to a very simple starting point, and work that out until it becomes an overwhelming experience to watch. The piece felt complete and was a composition.”
The eight partners of RIDCC each awarded a production prize, consisting of either the chance of making a new work with the dancers of the company or a residency for research and development (or a combination of both). The winners of these production award are:
- Scapino Ballet Rotterdam: ‘Alanda’ by Mario Bermudez Gil
- Conny Janssen Danst and Club Guy & Roni: ‘Uncia’ by Danae Dimitriadi & Dionysios Alamanos
- Club Guy en Roni: ‘I am a poem, there is no way out’ by Hanna van der Meer & Anna Jacobs
- Maas Theater & Dans and Codarts: ‘Mourning, Morning’ by Youri Peters & Marie Khatib-Shahidi
- Dansateliers: ‘Memoire d’un Oubli’ by Robin Lamothe
- Kunsthumanoria (BE): ‘Peeping eye’ by Louis Thuriot & Borna Babić
- Norrdans (SE): ‘Don’t, Kiss’ by Fabio Liberti
The prizes for further artistic or entrepreneurial development were awarded to
- Fabio Liberti, 3,500 euros for ‘Don’t, Kiss’
- Courtney Mazeika & Marlie Couto (USA), 2,500 euros for ‘Eventually’
- Jinhwan Seok, 1,500 euros for ‘Oda Gada’
The jury of the 1st RIDCC consisted of Samuel Wuersten (Holland Dance Festival), Guy Weizman, Roni Haver (Club Guy and Roni), Ed Wubbe (Scapino Ballet Rotterdam), Mira Helenius Martinsson (Norrdans), Dave Schwab (Theater Rotterdam), Peggy Olislaeger (Rambert) and chairman Jan Zoet (Academie voor Theater en Dans, HKA).